My Stock Up Price Guide

Do you know what the lowest price an item can get when it is on sale? Do you find yourself thinking that the price you see is great now and buy it but come back to the store the next week only to find it even lower? Trust me. It happens.

I created this list because I was tired of that happening to me. Going to the store and finding something way cheaper that what I had bought it for a week ago is very discouraging when you are trying to save money. Makes you feel as though you are playing a game with your money–but you are losing. My stock up guide is simply a guide to follow that gives you the lowest price that an item can possibly be–it’s rock bottom price. Everyone’s stock up price is different. For example; I know in Southern California the cheapest I can find Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts is about $1.97 lb–There are times that it goes lower but that happens maybe once a year. At this price, I stock up. I usually buy several pounds to feed my family of 5 for about 6 weeks so I don’t have to go back to the store in another 2 weeks and only to find myself paying full price!

The idea of stocking up is to have enough until that item goes back to it’s rock bottom price ($1.97 lb for our example) and usually this happens every six weeks.

So I’ve compiled a list of things and the rock bottom price that I stock up on. Yes, I may have to buy a lot at one time but I will never have to pay full price as long as I am consistent with what I will ONLY pay for a particular item. You can use this list if you would like but in different parts of the country you may not be able to find these prices or yours may be lower.

• Chicken Breast Boneless/Skinless $1.70-$1.97 lb
  • Ground Turkey $2.50 20 oz package
  • Ground Beef $1.88 lb-$1.97 lb
  • Cheese: $1 per bag (shredded)
  • Hot Dogs .25

• Diapers:$3.50 a bag or less than .17 a diaper

Household:

• toilet paper: .35 a roll
  • Paper Towels: $2 for a 8 pk
  • Cleaning supplies: Free-.50 a bottle
  • Dish washing Detergent: Free-$1.00 a bottle

Without using coupons these prices are almost impossible to achieve! So you can see why coupons are totally worth it!

This list is a work in progress! Let me know you your stock up prices are–I’d love to know what a GREAT price is for you

Comments

1. Nita says

Thank you typing up your list.
    It’s always great to see what other peoples stock-up prices are.

You’re the best Josie!

2. ann says

I agree!!! Do you happen to have a sale schedule for the year??? I have yet to see someone’s from So Cal….

3. Rea says

Hi Josie! Can you tell me if the cheese is a store brand or name brand and how it was done? Thank you very much. You have helped me save a lot of money and I really appreciate your hard work!

4. grace says

Hi Josie, thank you for showing us your list. I saw one, but from someone who lives in a state where their stores offer double/triple coupons! It’s nice to see a list from a more realistic high socal prices. I’m a new couponer and I still don’t know how to get free shampoo, my max stock-up price is $1. Hope you can share us your expanded list soon, this is really helpful!

5. Barstow Mom says

I was wondering when calculating toilet paper per roll is this a regular size roll or double rolls? I usually buy 24 double rolls for about $10.

6. Brandy from Berdoo says

After seeing those prices I know I can still save more! For Boneless skinless chicken, I only buy the half breast at .99 per pound, take off the skin and cut off the bone………and WahLah- Boneless skinless breast! It takes about 10 extra minutes of prep, but it is worth it!

7. says

Wow! I got by almost the same prices. Meat we stock up on when we can get it for less then $2.00/lb (None of us are picky about cuts, it’s all the same to us). Fruit, under $1 a lb. Most everything else we try to get for under $1 (if it’s more then $1, we can go to dollar tree or the .99 cent store and get it for $1). Except for shampoo/conditioner/razors, that sort of stuff, free is best. Toothpaste I’ve gotten to the point that if they don’t pay me to buy it, I don’t need it (we are well stocked up in that department).

8. SoCal OC Mom says

I am still new to the world of coupons and I am never really sure what a “good” sale price is. It always seems Orange County is so much more expensive than other areas so it’s a great help to have some type of guideline. Your website has definitely helped keep the grocery bills for two teenage boys under control. THANK YOU!!!!

9. Kim says

The best 8 did was this past week at Stater’s paying 64 cents but that was rare. The best I find is between $1 and $1.25.

10. Rosie says

Hi Josie, I want to thank you soooo much for your information. My husband and I work full-time with alternative shifts- He works eveneing I work days. We have 3 kids..My two oldest boys play basketball and let me tell you…They have bottomless pits. I go to your site everyday to try and figure out how to provide for my family. Without this site I don’t know how I would match the coupons…Toooshaaay..And, thanks again!

P.S. How can I get the best deal for shampoo & conditioner?

Rosie