Vlog: My Coupon Organization

This is me pretending like I know how to be organized! ;) Check out how I organize my coupons and inserts!

Comments

1. Michele says

My system is fairly similar to yours. I cut out those I know I will use ahead of time and then file the whole inserts by date with date written on front page. I then keep the cut out coupons in big legal sized plastic envelopes that I got at staples for $1. One envelope for household and one for grocery. Then in those envelopes they are kept sorted into the categories like you have in smaller envelopes. I have a 3rd plastic envelope for all of my store coupons, like ECBs and Ups. These envelopes just fit in my purse so nothing extra to carry.

2. Mary D. says

I have been couponing for many years, way before Von’s and Ralph’s limited the doubling of their coupons. Yes, I also file the whole inserts in groups with binder clips by date, which is new to me since August 2011. I alphabetize my printables and any tear pad coupon as well as the few I do cut out each week by item. ie. Cheese-its are filed under C, Arrowhead water under ‘A’ etc. I do have a few groups such as cheese under ‘C’ grouped with a binder clip, hair care under ‘H’, cereal under “C”, Razors under ‘R’ and make-up under ‘M’. It is so freeing to not spend the time clipping all of them. I do LOVE your coupon database! Thanks for all the time and money you save me. I also have envelopes with the store names to collect all the store coupons and rainchecks too.

3. Emily says

I’ve been couponing for almost a year now, and find that filing the whole inserts in accordion files works for me, and I have two of those small coupon organizers that you can get at Marshalls or Ross, they have all my clipped coupons and pretty much stay in my purse. I did have a question about the inserts though, I see you mark on yours the last coupon to expire..how do you know the latest date? Is it written somewhere or do you just look through the insert? I have inserts from October that I’m ready to get rid of but don’t want to throw any good coupons away, which I did a few weeks ago and ended up rummaging in the recycle bin looking for them!! Love the site btw..

4. Mary says

I love your videos. :) I do the same with filing the inserts and clipping only what I need, though I do organize my coupons in a zippable binder. I also pull the few that I know I plan to use before a shopping trip and I place them in a 3-ring pocket with a see-through window, which I put at the very front. That really helps save time in the store. And yes, scissors! I can’t tell you how many times I clipped last-minute in-ad coupons while in a Vons or Albertsons store. Very handy. I also take along a small calculator and I keep my printed shopping lists, store ads, and coupon policies in my binder, too. Information is power, as is Organization! Thanks for sharing with us.

Emily, to answer your question about finding the latest date, this is what I do:
    I click on Josie’s Coupon Database (the red bar in the right column on her site here, just below the “categories” space), then in the search field I enter the format for whatever insert I am working on, for example “SS 02/05/12″. Now all the coupons within that insert come up. Now I click on “Expiration” (third heading from left) to organize them by expiration date, and click Expiration once again to reverse the order, so that the longest expiration date coupon shows on top. The latest expiration date for that SS 02/05/12 insert is 9/30/12. Hopefully that easy trick will help! I absolutely LOVE using the database. I also check expiration dates on all coupons in general (printables and Target coupons, etc) there, about once a month, using the sort function that way so as to not miss anything I want to use before it expires. Way faster than flipping through inserts or my binder!

5. Elizarae says

Thanks so much for posting! I have only been couponing for a few months, but my organization method has evolved several times already. Right now, I’m using a combination of the whole insert method, binder and accordion file method. I only clip the coupons I know I will use or think I may use out of each insert. The rest of the insert is filed away by date in a tote (I’m going to start writing the farthest expiration date on mine now too…awesome idea Josie!). I then organize the coupons I have clipped into my binder, which is organized into 31 very specific categories. Then, I also have a small check-sized accordion folder, which I use for shopping trips and easily fits in my purse. Each store has it’s own pocket, so I just file the coupons I’m going to use at that store in its pocket, along with any rewards or ECBs. Since I usually make a run to all my stores in one day, this makes it really nice to have my entire shopping day ready in one place. I also keep a copy of each store’s coupon policy z-folded in each store’s pocket. The check-size accordion folder easily fits an 8 1/2 x 11 z-folded page, without bulk…very handy when angry beeps happen. I still do bring my binder with me when I shop, but I leave it in the car. If something comes up that I didn’t plan for, I can just run out and grab the coupon I need.
    I can’t seem to part with the binder because it’s really convenient for me to be able to visually see which coupons I have and to organize them alphabetically. I can also easily see which coupons are expired or expiring so I can quickly flip through once a week and pull those out.

6. says

Clever!

7. Lynn says

Great video, thanks for the great ideas. I’m also going to start writing the expiration date on the inserts. I’ve noticed that I only get about 1/2 of the coupons you match up where I live (Palm Springs area) and I get many that you don’t list on your database. I’m going to start making my own list of all my coupons when I get them and matching up with the ads. I wonder if anyone else has this problem? I guess even though we are both in so cal, we are still in a different region. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE your site and appreciate all your hard work helping us save! I have learned soooo much in the past several months following your blog. Thanks for all you do!

8. says

9. KMom says

Each time I would clean out my expired coupons, it felt like a huge stack that represented a lot of time I had wasted on clipping. So now I use the “clipless” method (well, you do still clip, of course).

When I get the inserts for the week, I open the database list in Excel, number the pages of one of each insert-type (I get four of each) and put the page number in an extra column on the spreadsheet. The last exp. date goes in the top corner. The list is sorted alphabetically. I print out the spreadsheet and put it and the corresponding inserts in a plastic sleeve, which then goes into my binder. I get my coupons ready before going out, so I just have to find them in the filed inserts, using the page numbers to make it a bit quicker. If I am in the store and see something that might be a deal, I take a quick glance at the spreadsheets to see if I have a coupon for it.

My binder also has a few sorter slots on one of the inner sides. This is where I keep an envelope for each of the stores I visit, with the coupons I am going to use there and any ECB’s, etc.

I still have some baseball card sleeves with coupons that are already clipped for some reason (someone gave to me, etc.), but the bulk of my binder is made up of the whole inserts with the spreadsheet guides.

I have saved SO much time this way and I don’t feel so overwhelmed by all the clipping I was behind on.

• suzyq says

I know you posted this a while ago KMom but can you tell me how to open the database in an excel sheet? i love the idea and can’t seem to figure it out???

• 1d says

Suzyq-
        In the database, let’s say you want to print the whole insert from the Red Plum April 29, 2012.
        In the search menu type RP 04/29/12, the press “search.”
        Once the list comes up press “print.” This will place all the coupon listings on one page.
        You can then either Select All (on a PC Ctrl+A), Copy (Ctrl+C), open excel and Paste (Ctrl+V). With this method you will then need to delete the headers and footers from the webpage. Or you can highlight the coupon section. (Left click the mouse above the letter T in type and drag the mouse down to the last coupon.) Once highlighted, copy (Ctrl+C), open excel and paste (Ctrl+V).

Hope this helps.

10. Patty says

Originally Posted By DinaGreat video! I find that cuting out the coupons and placing them in baseball card sleeves and in a binder works for me because if something is on clearence or goes on sale unexpectedly, i can locate the coupon quickly.

I use the same method. I like it and it works for me too.

11. missy says

I used to use the binder method, but had the same problem with coupons falling out. I now do the file box method with categories. I get 5 inserts a week and I cut all coupons. I file the coupons I’m for sure going to use in my file box and the other coupons go in an envelope with the date written on the front. I have a file tote that I keep all the envelopes in.