Test your creativeness in the kitchen with less meals that require meat. This was hard for my family at first but we discovered that some meatless meals became favorites for us! I found that we saved $40 per month by going meatless at least twice per week.
If you have not discovered Quinoa, it really is a treat! Quinoa can be found in many health food stores– I buy Quinoa at Winco out of the Bulk section.
Here is one of our favorite meatless meals, that is also very flavorful dispite the way it looks
Quinoa Black Bean Burgers: Makes 4 patties
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 carrot, diced (I shredded)
- 4 scallions, sliced (or onion)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil; add quiona, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes; set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa, half the scallions, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; pulse until combined but still slightly chunky.
- Form mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick paties (dip hands in water to prevent sticking). If too soft, refrigerate 10 minutes to firm. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
adapted from Whole Living
Need Ideas? You can find a nice list of Meatless meals here