$5/2 Clairol Coupon = My Take

Snip20130707_125

Updated as of 6:15 PM (New comment from Clairol on their FB page above)

This $5/2 Clairol coupon in todays P&G has got a lot of people talking. The question is.. can you use it on any Clairol product? I was really just unsure in the beginning but despite the very terrible verbiage on this coupon I decided to ask on the Facebook Page:

Conversation

The person who wrote this response–obviously doesn’t know how coupons are reimbursed.. Even though she states that you can “try” you know, as a couponer you cant just “try” a coupon on a product and if it works then it is ok. I am 100% sure that the store will not reimbursed for this coupon if used on a Herbal Essence product. I WILL NOT promote this coupon this way. Just want to make sure everyone knows that. :) I think the first line is enough for me to know that Hair Color is the only way to go.

.. of course, unless P&G releases a statement that it is allowed and that the stores will be reimbursed for this coupon when used on HE products.

Don’t forget that just because a coupon “scans” or doesn’t beep–doesn’t make it right.

PS: I’m feeling “delete happy” today–so please, state your opinion without being disrespectful.

Comments

1. Suzy says

I used this coupon today for the clarion herbal essences and had no problem. Coupon scanned for me with no problem.. It does state on any clairol products

2. Kristy says

I just wanted to point out that when coupons are turned in to the clearing house by the stores, the clearing house has no idea what product the coupon was used on. Unless there is a discrepancy or fraud is suspected and the store is audited, the coupons are processed and reimbursed. The clearing house does not sit and match each coupon that is redeemed to the receipt and product purchased. I am not condoning misuse of coupons, but to say that you are 100% sure that they will not be reimbursed is a bit misleading. There is no way, short of an audit, to distinguish if the coupon was used on hair color or shampoo. I think that people need to do what seems right to them.

• says

I completely understand how clearinghouses work and I personally feel that with the publicity of this coupon and the attention it is getting with blogs.. I highly suspect that P&G will take a closer look at the coupons that ARE redeemed..

• Sheralyn says

I spoke with my local CVS manager and she informed me that CVS goes through a complete and thorough audit of all coupons used. I do not agree that people should use coupons based on how they feel about it. That being said, I am surprised by the response Josie received about these coupons. This is not the first time I have seen this verbiage used on Clairol coupons, and it stirred up quite the debate last time as well. I guess P&G does not mind using ambiguous language, but it might hurt retailers.

3. jessica says

Josie I totally agree with you I would not even use that coupon for the shampoo the clearly picture shows a hair dye but then again we always make money on the loop holes but I wouldn’t do it . This morning I went to my CVS and one of the cashier asked me if i know the shampoo deal? He said he sold ove a hundred of it today . He was just surprised that I would not use that coupon for shampoo. I told him it wasnt meant for the shampoo but wording was too general. ..I dunno..maybe I’m too chicken. .

• dot says

I am really confused on this. I would never of thought to buy shampoo because of the picture of hair color, but after reading the coupon it does say any two clairol products. How is this different from a coupon like nabisco that has a picture of ritz crackers but states good on any two nabisco products? I have seen posts indicating I could use the coupon on nabisco cookies? How is it different? Please note I am not condoning buying shampoo I am just trying to understand. I know you will have the answer for me. Thanks for always being there to help us Josie.

• dot says

Okay so if it says any brand name(ie. nabisco) as opposed to buy two brand name(i.e. clairol) that is the difference. The key is any. Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. I really appreciate it.

• Melissa says

Hi Dot, I also agree w/u. However, to be fair the coupon says, exactly ” TWO Clairol products ( excludes trial/ travel size). It doesn’t actually say “any” but it is implied b/c there is no clarification. In my mind, it means what it says. Therefore 2 Clairol products is what the coupon is for. The picture on the page is immaterial.

4. Sue says

Thank you! I completely agree with you, and hope others will see why you dont agree with using it on herbal essence products.

5. Stephanie says

I used this coupon at CVS. Herbal essense shampoo or conditioner 2/$5. Used the coupon stated and got it for free. No hassle or anything.

6. Samantha says

I am not saying that I agree with using this item for the shampoo but You say it has a photo of the hair dye means its for that item well we hear this alot . If we went by the photo on the coupon we would be buying the most expensive item that that manufacturer put out most of the time. Just my thought the photo doesn’t mean much for alot of the coupons put out.

• says

you are correct. However, the person that replied to me didn’t have any knowledge of what the picture was on the coupon and basically stated that HE and Clairol are separate entities (despite being made my the same company) therefore, it leads me to believe that this coupon is Truly meant for Hair Dye only. Not to mention, when you visit the clairol site.. (clairol.com) Herbal Essences is nowhere to be found.

7. dot says

I am really confused on this. I would never of thought to buy shampoo because of the picture of hair color, but after reading the coupon it does say any two clairol products. How is this different from a coupon like nabisco that has a picture of ritz crackers but states good on any two nabisco products? I have seen posts indicating I could use the coupon on nabisco cookies? How is it different? Please note I am not condoning buying shampoo I am just trying to understand. When I buy nabisco cookies and not the crackers as shown on coupon and coupon states on any nabisco product, am I doing something wrong? I know you will have the answer for me. Thanks for always being there to help us Josie.

8. axhilli says

I disagree I believe that because Clairol stated to give it a try that they will set themselves up for a lawsuit if they didn’t pay back the retailers that took the coupon. I don’t think they would post that on facebook and then turn around and deny reimbursement when the companies have it written down them encouraging people to try it.

9. Kelly says

As much as I would have loved to use this coupon on the shampoo, and I thought about it!! I realized that getting 2 shampoos for free was just going to hurt all us couponers in the long run. Being that we are in Socal it is already hard wtih no doublers but when you have people misusing the coupons that we do get I believe that the companys will start lowering the values, using more strict verbiage etc. It effects all our future deals when people misuse and I think some people are just stuck in the greedy I want it now!!!

10. Gaby says

I think that if you have to ask whether it’s okay to use the coupon on the HE then you know the answer already.

• Jeri says

Totally agree with you Gaby. I didn’t even look at this coupon until all of the fuss about it started. Why didn’t I look at it? Because it’s clearly part of an ad for hair dye, and I don’t use hair dye. Someone at Clairol goofed on the coupon language. Simple as that.

11. alma says

We all know that the coupon is intended to be use on hair color regarding the verbiage. We been using this coupon for hair color only. Unfortunately some people want to take advantage and this is only going to cause that in the future the stores will inspect our coupons carefully before we use them. We complain of how the stores treat us when we use our coupons, but some people is causing this. At least I consider my self a honest couponer and I will not use this coupon for shampoo. I have a good friendship with the cashiers at the stores and I wanted to keep it that way.

12. yolene says

This coupon states any product and I got 158 he if they don’t want us to get that product they need to re word the coupon its simple the picture has nothing to do with a coupon its the words

13. yolene says

To everyone that’s talking about pictures it has nothing to do with a coupon you can have a toothpaste coupon with a toothrush on it ect yes I know they may meant hair color but the facts remain they made a bobo on the wording and left the window open for all products live and learn

• Cathy says

Yeah but when the store you went and got 158 don’t get reimburse, guess who will be paying the price!!! us honest couponers!

14. Melissa says

I’m relatively new at this, so forgive me if I’m way off the mark. If, for example, Pepsi offered a coupon for Pepsi products, wouldn’t that also apply to Mountain Dew? So, as the “parent” company, wouldn’t a Clairol coupon apply to its other products? Unless, HE is a subsidiary of Clairol, in which case the coupon may not apply. The verbiage on that coupon is unclear. Personally, I think the pic accompanying the coupon is directed at the $3/ Nice ‘n Easy, which is misleading w/regard to the $5 off Clairol product. Seems purposeful on Clairol’s part.

15. JoyJoy1417 says

We already get hair care products for free or for very little oop. I don’t understand why so many people are so insistent on using this coupon for products it clearly was not intended for!

• mike says

I now know why there were people yelling at my cvs this morning really I would definately go with the picture at this time I got about 40 for about 5.00 net this morning I would and did not use a coupon for any other product than pictured or indicated

16. JoyJoy1417 says

I want to thank you Josie for taking this stand on this. I did not know how crazy it’s gotten until I read several other sites. I couldn’t agree with you more on this!

17. Steph says

I think it was not meant at all for HE, I’m a cashier and a couponer and when I had started getting these coupons I hesitated because in the same insert there is already a HE coupon in there. the $5/2 clariol is meant for clariol hair color and HE are meant for HE hair care. Granted, yes it ‘scanned’ but as Josie said just because it scans doesn’t make it right, and I know most PG coupons scan for anything most of the time. I was very frustrated that people were taking advantage of this and had people buying everything off the shelf (one person and their family bought over 50 bottles). I think it was very badly worded and I hope this doesn’t back fire on Clariol or retailers/ reimbursement.

• Laurie says

Doesn’t the coupon have a limit of 4 like coupons? How are people buying so many? What store even carries that many?! I want to go there (not for the he) All the cvs by me are always out of everything and never get a second delivery in a week. Also, does P&G have a stance on this, or does it have nothing to do with them?

18. Laurie says

I didn’t see any word from P&G on their fb page, but I did see a couple of posts from people who claim they spoke with P&G reps and were told that they take full responsibility for the wording and will reimburse any retailers who accepted the coupon for Herbsl Essences products. Don’t know if that is true, but they claim they were told that. I’m just not going anywhere near it, haha!

19. Elizabeth says

I think part of the problem is that first it does say $5/2 Clairol products, and second the coupon does not EXCLUDE the HE.
    Having a coupon that is misprinted or represented is the fault of the company. We can not change it and people are taking what is printed at face value. We are not mind readers and can not guess what the company meant.
    It’s like if I say “Hey walk the dog today.” And my son decides to do it at 9pm. He did exactly what I asked. How would he know I meant at 11 am if I did not specify?

20. axhilli says

Does anyone not think it’s odd that P&G seems to regularly have these coupon issues. Didn’t they have one with Tide within the last year. I’m sorry but they aren’t dumb and they got some much buzz about their hair color and shampoo products. I don’t trust for a minute they didn’t know what they were doing. This is a huge company and to think they are losing money its not happening. You can get hair color for cheap if you used the coupons for that purpose. This is nothing more than a tool to get more buzz and people in the stores to purchase their products.

• Laurie says

Valid point. Weren’t there a few scenarios to get the hair color for like a buck with that coupon?

• Michelle says

I agree, if you look at the P&G coupons all of the coupons have specifications, size limits, exclusions, and even limits on how many coupons can be used in bright red bold letters. If you look at the back of the P&G coupon book their is a coupon for crest strips with a red box telling the cashier to verify purshase of the Crest strips. I think that if P&G made this “mistake” they need to take responsibility for this and reimburse the retailers!
      I am not very familiar with bar codes, but I thought that these new bar codes were supposed to prevent fraud or a coupon to be used on another product other than what ir was intended for?????

21. Juliet says

Aren’t these a MM anyway this week at Family Dollar?

$3 each of the Clairol Hair Color (Balsam kind) –
    Buy 2 of them –
    Use the $5/2 Clairol 7/7 P&G
    Pay $1 OOP
    Then receive a $2 CRT on the bottom of your receipt. = $1 MM

22. Danessa Porche says

I’m just curious….where can you buy trial/travel size hair dye? Because the coupon says that it is not valid on trial/travel size….wouldn’t that make you think it included all of their products(including shampoo)? They put that additional info in so that if you were to purchase one of their products, such as shampoo, you can’t use it on the smaller bottles. Just some additional food for thought.

23. Kish says

I find this topic interesting. From time to time I see deals on blogs and the moderator tells us to print the coupon on line using another zip code. If the coupon was not offered to us with our on zip code then we shouldn’t be printing it should we? However now everyone has an issue with the fine print on these coupons. I think it’s funny what some people choose to condone. It’s okay to lie about your zip code for the sake of printing a coupon but its not okay to use this coupon.

24. BRENDA says

ITS SAD WHEN PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE COUPON IS FOR HAIR COLOR AND USE IT ON SHAMPOO. TO MAKE IT EVEN WORSE THEY GET 40 BOTTLES OF SHAMPOO AND THEN WONDER WHY COUPONERS GET A BAD REP… THERE ARE SO MANY SALES, STORES, PROMOS, THAT MAKE ANY ITEM YOU ARE LOOKING FOR FREE OR CHEAP W/ A COUPON YET PEOPLE STILL CHOOSE NOT TO PUT IN A LITTLE MORE EFFORT INTO COUPONING INSTEAD JUST DO WHAT IS MADE EASY TO THEM BY A SIMPLE TYPO… MAKES IT HARD FOR THE MOM WHO JUST WANTS A 2 OF EACH ITEM. THANKS AGAIN COUPON ABUSERS !!

25. yolene says

All stores make decisions on there coupon policy and my cvs takes any amount of coupons as well as a few of my riteaid am not here to justify how many coupons I use if a store allows it then I do it if they dont then I use four but as I seen clairol admit there wrong and will honor the coupon we all coupon different I only do what the store allows

• KT says

Just because a store allows you to use more coupons then what is specified on the coupon, does not make it right. You as the consumer should be following all the rules when it comes to couponing, otherwise, in the end, you are hurting everyone.

• KT says

Oh, and Clairol also said that yes, they will reimburse for the coupons that have already been redeemed for HE, but they hope going forward that people will no longer use the Clairol coupon on HE shampoo since they want to continue to offer coupons for the Clairol Hair Color.

• Cathy says

You are justifying yourself for using 30 coupons in one transaction if you have a little consideration to others and to the rules that state on the “coupons”you will use your common sense, but I guess that’s not the way you think!

26. SLNY says

I did not catch that on the coupon. I guess my mind automatically assumed it was for the hair color only. I agree with Josie. I would not use the coupon except for hair color. I am shocked by the facebook response to Josie’s questions. First sentence its for Clairol Color only, second Herbal Essence has it’s own coupons. Last, but hey try it anyway despite what I just said.

27. Heidi Kristall says

My POV – get what you need to take care of your family – but 158 bottles? It so bothers me to see people selling the stuff they get with coupons. That’s the biggest problem I have with all of this stuff. Use it, give it away, donate it- but selling it BUGS me big time

• Stella says

Heidi, why does it bug you so much? What’s wrong with people trying to make a little money? What if that is what they want to do to support their family? Not talking about this specific shampoo deal, but hopefully honest couponers do have to pay for their newspapers, store taxes, and get the items for cheap and going around selling them to people that don’t have time or patience seems like a win-win situation to me. Just my two cents.

28. Yvonne says

I’m really confused, Every Sunday I look at all the coupon websites for the deals of the week and one of the deals was the Clairol for free shampoo. So I went to CVS, Walmart and Target and got over 300 and all the coupons worked at all the stores and now I read that it was for hair dye. I don’t understand the bottles said Clairol on them. The coupon says Clairol product so how are we to know that herbal essences is not a Clairol product, this is just to confusing for me.

• yvonne says

I thought that you could not sell products that you buy with coupons? I was told you could go to jail for that. I keep some and I give to my friends, family and I donate most of it.

29. Jennifer says

I’m half and half on this. I agree that 300 bottles is overkill and leaves none for people who just want a couple. Be fair, if you are going to do that, preorder because it gets customers angry an they end up taking it out on employees that have nothing to do with it and ruining it for honest couponers. BUT the coupon say 2 clairol products (no exclusions) and herbal essence does have their name printed on the bottle. so it’s kinda half &half for me although I did get 4 bottles.